Friday, January 30, 2015

A Study in Purple

Purple is my second favorite color.  It's rich, it's bold, it says "look at me I'm the shit."  Purple is also one of these shades that can look great on anyone depending on the shade.  So for today's post I have three different purples wore in different styles.  Purple is the color of royalty so always feel like a queen when you wear it.

I'm wearing Sephora Collection Luster Matte Long-Wear Lip Color in Deep Plum, and yes it wears long.  It's also a really nourishing matte because of the Rose Hip oil they've included in this formula.  I've gone with no lip liner today because it's bright out today and I wanted to maintain that brightness.

Steph (my absolute fave) kicked her purple into high gear with MAC Viva Glam Nicki 2 with MAC lip pencil in Beet.  Using a dark perimeter outside a lighter inside lip creates depth and fullness and makes your lips really pop.

If you enjoy a bright purple with some flash, try what Alex is wearing, COVERGIRL Flipstick in Flashy.


Keiha (my dear heart!) is wearing a deep shade which was great for an evening affair, she has on Wet n Wild Mega Last Lip Color in Sugar Plum Fairy, which she pulls off in a purple dress.


Finally, layering isn't just for your clothes.  If you enjoy a multidimensional look to your lips, try layering colors.  Aieshya (here with her mom) has on MAC Rebel mixed with MAC Asian Flower lined with MAC Nightmoth (sensing a theme??).  Nightmoth is a really great liner for purples.  It's a blackened plum which gives your lips definition but also makes it blend in real nicely with purple.  It's excellent for creating an ombre effect.

What are some of your favorite purples?

6 comments :

  1. Purple is for all the QUEENS on the scene! Very rich, bold and FIERCE!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feature! I love all shades of purple! I have at least 10 different shades!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does burgundy count as a purple? I have a lipstick in the Sephora lip stain cream stick (not the liquid lip stain), but I'm scared to wear it. It's bold to me and intimidating cuz it's so dark and I have such a vibrant personality which is why I like wearing bright colors. I also often don't know wat to wear with burgundy lipstick :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're worried that it might be too dark here's a few things you can do: 1) Experiment with a lighter shade. Layer on the burgundy on the outer parts of your lips next use a lighter shade in the center of your lips. This will mellow out some of the darkness and create an ombre effect. 2) Use a gloss on top. When a lip color I'm using just isn't doing it for me, clear gloss helps immensely. 3) Mix your lipstick with something lighter. Use a lipstick brush and a palette to brighten the color. 4) Wear it. Don't be afraid of bold colors, dark lipstick does not mean you hate the world it means you like variety.

      Delete
    2. Ok, now I have the same lipstick but in a really bright pink. The lipstick is very matte so I have to wear chapstick under or lipgloss over it. How do you tone down a lipstick that is very bright? And are you supposed to put lip liner on before or after the lipstick?

      Delete
    3. Pretty much the same way, use a dark lipstick to bring the color down. As for lip liner you can use it before or after depending on the look you are trying to achieve. If you want the liner to stand out more and be a part of the look try lining it before and after. If you want the liner to be subtle and just do the job of keeping your lipstick from bleeding, liner with a lip primer or lip balm will work.

      Delete